Show your work to the world!
Woodys3d
Beta Tester
Full Name: Dani Garcia Fornés
Company/Affiliation: Freelance
Job Title/Position: Character Artist

Good girl? [MILD NUDITY]

Post by Woodys3d »

Here's the last character I've done with hair farm. The braid was a bit tricky to do, but I'm happy with the result, more than with the previous attempts I did.

Hope you like it!
Attachments
GoodGirl1600.jpg
GoodGirl1600.jpg (484.02 KiB) Viewed 19228 times
cem
Site Admin
Full Name: Cem Yuksel
Company/Affiliation: Cyber Radiance
Job Title/Position: Owner

Re: Good girl? [MILD NUDITY]

Post by cem »

Great work, Woody! I loved what you did with detailed styling as much as what you accomplished with hair mesh modeling. The colors look really natural, too. :ok:

Would you mind posting a few screen shots of your hair mesh and the styling modifiers you used?
Cem Yuksel - Developer
Bigguns
Beta Tester
Full Name: Luc Bégin
Company/Affiliation: Freelancer
Job Title/Position: Cg Character modeler

Post by Bigguns »

hey great work here and I love the concept a lot!
Woodys3d
Beta Tester

Post by Woodys3d »

Thanks a lot, I'm happy you liked it.

Here are the screenshots. They look a bit messy, as I used several hair meshes to create the styling. On each side, I have 2 hair meshes to define the braids (the yellow one is the main braid, and the green one is used to create uncombed hairs that escape from the braid direction). Then I also have some other hair meshes to add uncombed hairs that flow in a different direction than the main ones, or that cover specific areas, like the ones that go down in her back neck.

The modifier stack is an example of one of the most complex hair meshes, all look the same. The lower part of the stack creates the main amount of hairs, and those modifiers add some variation on the hairs. The upper hair genereate creates much less hairs than the first one, but those kink and frizz modifiers add much more variation to them, so they look like uncombed hairs that follow the main direction.
Attachments
WireCabell.jpg
WireCabell.jpg (234.32 KiB) Viewed 19202 times
cem
Site Admin

Post by cem »

Thanks for posting your setup, Woody. The hair mesh you prepared seems quite complicated. That explains how you could get such a natural result with relatively simple styling using only few HairStyle modifiers. One thing I noticed is that you used HairStyle Wisps together with HairStyle Cluster. This is very interesting, since both of these modifiers essentially serve the same purpose.

By the way, you could probably get rid of the second Hair Generate modifier, by applying HairStyle Kink and HairStyle Frizz at the top only to some hair strands. You can do so using the "% of hairs" parameter on the Apply To rollout.
Cem Yuksel - Developer
Woodys3d
Beta Tester

Post by Woodys3d »

Yes, I'm probably more comfortable modeling extra hairmeshes than creating a very complex modifier and alphas setup, and considering how easy it is to use the hairmesh Edit modifier, this system works like charm for me.

You are right about wisps and clusters, they do mostly the same and I could probably have done it just with one, but I guess I got the result I wanted while testing like this, and I prefered not to change it. Wisps also generate new hairs using a radius, wich means a few hairs will grow outside from the polygon where they would grow if radius was 0, and I found that helps in some parts, like the line that separates the left and right halves of the hair (not sure what's the name of that part in english), as it makes the two parts of that line to blend a bit more.

I know about the "% of hairs", I'm actually using in most of the modifiers (usually values of 80-95%) to create a bit more randomness, but in that case, using a hair generate allows some more control, you can easily increase or decrease the amount of hairs, make them grow only in a zone with a texture, change their material or thickness, and so on. Also, this hairs wont be affected by the modifiers below, wich means they will follow even more diferent directions, wich adds randomness.

Anyway, I still think the result can be improved, I'm already thinking in my next model, and I will try to push it a bit more.
cem
Site Admin

Post by cem »

You obviously know what you are doing and the result shows that. Great work! :ok:
I can't wait to see your next model.
Cem Yuksel - Developer