second skin

Show your work to the world!
raul-reznek
Full Name: Raul Teleki

second skin

Post by raul-reznek »

Hello guys this is one of my latest personal projects. I've attached below some lookdev images, the hair version below was done with max's hair and fur and it was one hell of a pain, rendered as geometry with vray. I've seen hairfarm for quite a while on the net and now i'm gonna give it a spin and will probably need ur help to pull it off from the first try. So comments and help are appreciated.

See you guys around :)
I hope u like my character. Oh important to mention is that i didnt use and kind of reference for this character. I wanted a consistent 3d feel to it, so textures are hand painted and i didn use reference images for the model, only for individual parts, like the eyes or nose.
Attachments
suit_rndr_v078_nuke.jpg
suit_rndr_v078_nuke.jpg (642.16 KiB) Viewed 19887 times
suit_rndr_v078_001.RGB_color.0000-4.jpg
suit_rndr_v078_001.RGB_color.0000-4.jpg (159.19 KiB) Viewed 19887 times
suit_rndr_head_v073_rndr01_tj.jpg
suit_rndr_head_v073_rndr01_tj.jpg (279.38 KiB) Viewed 19887 times
raul-reznek

Re: second skin

Post by raul-reznek »

so here is a first view after one day's work. i'm a bit confused about a couple of things and i hope its just something i dont know and u guys can help me out.

1st off, the way that i understand it is that the "HairMesh edit" modifier vertices control the guides of the hairs and they are being interpolated. my question is: how do i affect the vertices of a lower layer that is not on the border of the mesh? i mean i used the select prev layer button but after i moved the vertex to a desired position, it would flip back to its original position. i've attached an image lower explaining what i mean.

2nd. what would be the best approach to making a haircut that is a bit messy but at the same time has some structure. what i want to achieve is a haircut with thick volumes taht cast shadow onto one another and onto the character.

3rd is there a way to alter the guides and their vertices directly after i have created a Hairmesh edit? and is there a way to trim the hair using a brush like you would in shave and haircut

thanks guys.
Attachments
hairfarm question.jpg
hairfarm question.jpg (205.46 KiB) Viewed 19865 times
suit_rndr_head_v087_rndr01_tj.jpg
suit_rndr_head_v087_rndr01_tj.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 19865 times
cem
Site Admin
Full Name: Cem Yuksel
Company/Affiliation: Cyber Radiance
Job Title/Position: Owner

Post by cem »

Nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing more, as your work progresses.
raul-reznek wrote:1st off, the way that i understand it is that the "HairMesh edit" modifier vertices control the guides of the hairs and they are being interpolated. my question is: how do i affect the vertices of a lower layer that is not on the border of the mesh? i mean i used the select prev layer button but after i moved the vertex to a desired position, it would flip back to its original position. i've attached an image lower explaining what i mean.
The beauty of the hair mesh structure is that you don't need to worry about the vertices inside the volume. All you need to do is to model the outer surface of the hair, and the internal structure is generated automatically. For that reason, you cannot move the internal vertices manually.
raul-reznek wrote:2nd. what would be the best approach to making a haircut that is a bit messy but at the same time has some structure. what i want to achieve is a haircut with thick volumes taht cast shadow onto one another and onto the character.
I'd recommend preparing the general structure using the hair mesh and adding the variations using HairStyle modifiers.
raul-reznek wrote:3rd is there a way to alter the guides and their vertices directly after i have created a Hairmesh edit? and is there a way to trim the hair using a brush like you would in shave and haircut
There are lots of ways to alter the hair mesh and the hair strands. You will not find the same tools that shave and haircut uses, as they are not very effective. Hair modeling with Hair Farm is more like modeling anything else than hair. Just model the outer surface of the hair using the HairMesh tools and then add the details using the HairStyle tools.
Cem Yuksel - Developer
raul-reznek

Post by raul-reznek »

i see. thats what i also found very appealing about hairfarm, that u only model a container and u 'simulate' everything else inside it. but my needs are a bit more specific. abviously what i am trying to do is not so hard compared to everything else i've seen on the forum, but i just need that extra control. it would be cool to be able to select the top later of the hair, hide it and work on a lower layer. this level of interaction can be useful for controling the waveyness of the hair and its direction. would also be very cool to have standard max push and pull/smooth or relax brushes for the modifier. my 2 cents

good stuff. i hope i will be able to produce what i need
superrune
Beta Tester
Full Name: Rune Spaans

Post by superrune »

This looks incredible, looking forward to see how he progresses!
freelance animation, illustration, scripting, lego: http://www.superrune.com
raul-reznek

Post by raul-reznek »

Rune, you're the first person of your level and skill that says that about my character, i am humbled! I have to say i was utterly amazed with what i saw on ur site, you have my respect!
I'm currently rebuilding my website and i didnt develop anything new on this project for the past days, i hope i will.

Thanks again rune, gave me a bit of confidence back.