Christmas in Alsace 2015 - Movie

Show your work to the world!
1k0
Full Name: Nicolas Brunet

Christmas in Alsace 2015 - Movie

Post by 1k0 »

Hi everybody,

It's that time of the year again! Here is the last "Christmas in Alsace" episode I directed and in which I heavily used Hair Farm to create and render hair styles and fur on characters.
I hope you'll appreciate it, a Making Of will follow really soon.

Film
go to video on vimeo

Cinema trailer
go to video on vimeo
NeA_Cap_02.png
NeA_Cap_02.png (2.16 MiB) Viewed 34046 times
Attachments
NeA_Hair.jpg
NeA_Hair.jpg (964.73 KiB) Viewed 34046 times
NeA_Cloth_Sim_Hair.jpg
NeA_Cloth_Sim_Hair.jpg (514.51 KiB) Viewed 34046 times
Last edited by 1k0 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
cem
Site Admin
Full Name: Cem Yuksel
Company/Affiliation: Cyber Radiance
Job Title/Position: Owner

Re: Christmas in Alsace 2013 - Movie

Post by cem »

Nice work with lots of different hairstyles! Thanks for posting!
Cem Yuksel - Developer
1k0

Post by 1k0 »

Thanks Cem!

The Making Of is finally fully edited!

The second part focusing on Hair creation is now available on 3D total website, Hair animation/simulation is also mentioned in that part.
http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/2148-ch ... net?page=2

Third part of the article will come next week and will briefly talk about the way I used to render Hair, a workflow I already told about in this forum a few month ago:

- viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1794&sid=232faf4fd ... 28902e8113

- http://www.blog.moonday.fr/2015/04/28/cg-hair-part-i/

Here are some pictures from the Making Of:

I always forget to do this, so, on the next animated project I'll work on, Cem, I'll add your name in the Thanks credits, for now I thank you here for the help your Hair software bring in all my projects, valuable time is saved, it's truly appreciated.
Bigguns
Beta Tester
Full Name: Luc Bégin
Company/Affiliation: Freelancer
Job Title/Position: Cg Character modeler

Post by Bigguns »

Hi there!

How do you use the splines from hair and fur in hairfarm?? I'm very curious, can you describe you technic please?
1k0

Re: Christmas in Alsace 2015 - Movie

Post by 1k0 »

Hi Luc!

I added a HairMesh from Splines Modifier on the spline cage created in Hair&Fur, as easy as that.

All the big work is done with FurGuidePainter script from Kinematic Lab to draw the main guides, Hair&fur add guides "between" guides, then I export all this as a spline cage, edit it to remove unwanted splines then the fun begin by adding HairMesh from Splines and other Hair Farm modifiers.

I discovered adding a Hair&Fur modifier on the original spline cage to create "guides between guides" is a good way to get flat dreads as I feel more comfortable with Hair creation based on splines. (middle step on that image)

Bigguns
Beta Tester
Full Name: Luc Bégin
Company/Affiliation: Freelancer
Job Title/Position: Cg Character modeler

Post by Bigguns »

Ha ok it's just with the hairmesh from splines. What I really don't like about that modifier is that you dont have a scalp... you can't put maps and the hairs distribution is around those spline.. it cannot be regular distribution like when it's generated from let's say hairmesh brush. So , your front line wont be perfect... and hair and fur dont have a regular pattern ( it's the shitty random one.. ) so you have holes on places, other places are too dense etc.. I really wish Cem will impletement what as been discussed in the forum for the next version. Thank's for the reply man.
cem
Site Admin
Full Name: Cem Yuksel
Company/Affiliation: Cyber Radiance
Job Title/Position: Owner

Post by cem »

You can add a UVW mapping modifier on top of HairMesh from Splines, below Hair Generate to apply the mapping you like. However, the root mesh might be difficult to use with the Unwrap UVW modifier, because the root mesh would be just a collection of separate root polygons.
Cem Yuksel - Developer